Your 22m area is the opposition’s team “red zone” and most likely place for them to score points. Use this activity to help your players work harder than the attack and squeeze them out. This activity builds the idea before putting into a game realistic situation. MORE
Make a Tag tackle
U8 MINI-TAG | DEFENDING 2
ACTIVITY: 1V1 DEFENCE
- A defender with a ball stands on one side of the area in the centre gate. An attacker stands opposite, also in the centre gate.
- The defender passes the ball to the 1 attacker.
- On receiving the ball, the attacker runs forward and tries to get through one of the gates either side of the defender without getting tagged.
- At the same time, the defender comes forward to tag the attacker.
- Play winner stays on – If a tag is made, the defender returns the tag and becomes the attacker, and a new player comes in as defender. If no tag is made, the attacker becomes the defender and a new player comes in as attacker.
What you say
“Get close to the ball carrier”
“Grab and remove the tag belt”
“Hold the tag above your head and shout “Tag!””
“Return the tag to the tagged player”
How many players do I need
You only need two players at a time, but It’s a dynamic game, so players can wait their turn, or run more than one game at once.
You will need
- 1 ball
- 8 cones
- 1 bib for each defender
- 1 tag belt for each attacker