Most tackles from behind are from an angle. Use this session to develop the skills to make realistic tackles as players “scramble” back and chase a ball carrier. A rear tackle is a recovery tackle by a player who’s chasing. MORE
Work together as defenders U7
U7 MINI-TAG | DEFENDING 5
ACTIVITY: TURN AND TAG
- Put an attacker with a ball on one of the long sides of the area, jogging from side to side.
- Put two defenders about 4m apart on the opposite side of the area, facing away from the attacker.
- When you shout “turn”, the defenders turn around and run into the area towards the attacker. At the same time, the attacker runs into the area and aims to run across to the opposite side without being tagged by the defenders.
- Develop by starting the attacker further forward, or even having two attackers, so defenders have to first identify the ball carrier and then close him down.
What you say
“Move together towards a target”
How many players do I need?
This activity requires three players at a time, but you can have attackers and defenders lined up ready to take their turn.
You will need
- 1 ball per attacker (or hands clasped together)
- 4 cones
- Bibs for the defenders
- 1 tag belt for each attacker