Develop your players’ ability to recognise and exploit opportunities to counter-attack from turned over possession. By driving into tackle tubes, the attackers are disorientated momentarily. They then have to recover to play what’s in front of them. MORE
Understand the need to run forward to score tries
U7 MINI-TAG | ATTACKING 1
ACTIVITY: WHERE’S THE TRY LINE?
- Put three defenders on one side of the area, one on each corner and one in the middle. Put three attackers in a line on the adjacent side, each with a ball.
- When you say “go”, an attacker runs forward. As soon as he starts to move, shout out the name of one of the defenders who must come across to try to make a tag.
- The attacker aims to score a tag try at the opposite side without running out of the box or being tagged.
- After taking his turn, the ball carrier swaps with the defender. Repeat until everyone has had a go as attacker and defender.
- Develop by calling out two defenders at different times, to challenge the ball carrier.
What you say
“Avoid the defender”
How many players do I need
This activity requires six players at a time, but you can have attackers and defenders lined up ready to take their turn.
You will need
- 1 ball for each attacker
- 5 cones
- 1 bib for each defender
- 1 tag belt for each attacker