Use this game-skill-game approach to develop your players tackling skills and game awareness of how to complete the tackle. It focuses on footwork and shoulder contact. MORE
VIDEO: Starburst adaptive game
Use this game to develop decision-making skills and team-working. It also offers creative solutions to players.
- Put four attackers in the middle, facing inwards, holding a ball. They can be as close together as they want. They can also circle.
- Put four defenders about 5m away from the circle. Depending on the pressure you want to exert, they can be closer or further away.
- When the attackers “burst”, they aim to score over any point at the edge of the box. They can pass and run in any direction.
- To score, the ball carrier must be carrying the ball when they go over the line.
- The defenders aim to touch the ball carrier to win.
- The defenders win by bringing the ball carrier to ground.
- The defenders win by grabbing and holding the ball for more than three seconds (promoting possible mauling outcomes).