Made a mistake in training and dropped a ball. Help the players with the food rule. MORE
Challenge players’ decision-making during transitional phases of play. The game presents lots of opportunities to work against a broken defence, build momentum and create opportunities to score.
A 30m by 20m box.
6 defenders, 8-10 attackers.
- Six defenders.
- The defenders must start scattered around the pitch to create the scenario that the attack have just won a turnover and are playing against a broken defence.
- Two on ruck pads: If a player is tagged with a shield, they must go down and present.
- Two players in tackle suits: Full contact tacklers.
- Two players with no equipment: These are the jacklers looking to make tackles, steal the ball and force errors.
- All defenders can earn their way into attack by stealing the balling or forcing an error.
- Rotate the defenders roles after each score.
- 8-10 attackers.
- Their aim is to get to the other end of the pitch and score. If they knock on, pass forward, step in touch or commit a penalty offence then they must go back to the beginning and start again.
Ask the players how they can regain and build momentum if they can’t break down the disorganised defence.
You can time how long it takes to score, give them 3 lives to score or can use a level system where they increase/decrease the defender: attacker ratios to promote success and build confidence depending on the ability level of the players.