I've been fortunate enough to have Eddie Jones deliver some sessions. This is the game he started with and it is excellent for reinforcing key messages around core skills or principles of play. MORE
Set challenges where an under-powered attack has to break down the defence. Break off into smaller groups to isolate the skills before returning to a conditioned game.
The players will be forced to find solutions in this game. It will challenge them mentally as well.
Play 4 attackers v 8 defenders
- The attacking group has to score at the end of the box.
- They can pass, run, and drive the ball.
- The defence has to stop them by tackling and driving the four back.
- The defenders cannot touch the ball. Play for three minutes and then swap attackers and defenders.
Break out into the 10m boxes
- Use 1 v 2s in a box to develop evasion skills and desire to go through gaps.
- Use 2 v 3s in a box to develop passing to space, running angles and support.
Play 4 v 8 again, but now in a larger box
- Number the defence one to eight.
- Start the game and as it evolves shout out a number one to eight.
- The defending player with that number changes teams and becomes an attacker. Keep adding attackers until they score.
- Attack at pace.
- Keep the passes short and sharp.
- Don’t force the pass, attack the spaces between the defenders.