In this warm-up game, passing and catching are important, but vision and awareness are paramount. When the player is lining up to run, he needs to know who is going, when he needs to go, who he’ll receive from, who he’ll pass to and where he’ll line up next. MORE
Rugby coaching warm-ups to prepare for sprinting
Moonwalking – think like a triple jumper
- From a jogging start, get the players to try to cover 20m in as few strides as possible.
- Count the number of strides each player takes over four attempts.
What to say
- “Drive with the arms to get more distance”
- “Keep the head up and relaxed”
- “Keep your momentum forward by landing on your heel and driving off your toes”
Ping! – promotes explosive sprinting
- One player with the ball is held by another from behind by the shorts.
- The ball carrier leans forward and tries to start running away from the holder.
- Maintaining resistance, the holder lets the ball carrier move a couple of metres and then releases him.
- The ball carrier explodes forward from a falling position.
What to say
- “Ball carrier: Use short steps to regain your balance”
- “Ball carrier: Work the arms to maintain balance and then use with your running action”
- Use an old shirt or towel to hold the player in position.
- Decide who initiates the “let go” – the holder or the ball carrier.
This article is from Rugby Coach Weekly.