Use this agility, handling and decision-making activity as a way of getting players thinking, moving and interacting. It comes from our Skills Conditioning and Fitness DVD. MORE
Rugby coaching warm-ups to prepare for sprinting
Moonwalking – think like a triple jumper
- From a jogging start, get the players to try to cover 20m in as few strides as possible.
- Count the number of strides each player takes over four attempts.
What to say
- “Drive with the arms to get more distance”
- “Keep the head up and relaxed”
- “Keep your momentum forward by landing on your heel and driving off your toes”
Ping! – promotes explosive sprinting
- One player with the ball is held by another from behind by the shorts.
- The ball carrier leans forward and tries to start running away from the holder.
- Maintaining resistance, the holder lets the ball carrier move a couple of metres and then releases him.
- The ball carrier explodes forward from a falling position.
What to say
- “Ball carrier: Use short steps to regain your balance”
- “Ball carrier: Work the arms to maintain balance and then use with your running action”
- Use an old shirt or towel to hold the player in position.
- Decide who initiates the “let go” – the holder or the ball carrier.
This article is from Rugby Coach Weekly.