A physical, fun and warm-up, log rolls encourage teamwork and prepare players for contact. Split players into groups of at least six. Put five players in a row, on the ground, shoulder-to-shoulder. Put another player, on their back, across these players, lying across their middles. On your call, the group has to propel the... MORE
Rugby warm up drill to get your players moving faster
- From a standing sprint position, players drive their whole body up as high as possible, without moving forward more than a walking stride.
- Players should take off and land on the same foot. Walk for one stride before changing take-off foot. The arms need to be over extended, the knee should be driving up and beyond hip height.
- All the power should be focused up and forward.
What to say to your players in the drill
- “Drive up opposite legs and arms.”
- “Keep elbows bent, but the leading arm can nearly be straightened to gain extra momentum.”
- “Keep the head still and looking up.”
- “Try to get as far off the ground as possible.”
Click the link to order a copy of The Ultimate Rugby Warm-Ups Manual, which has over 100 fast, fun ways to kickstart your rugby coaching sessions.
Click the link to add jumping to your warm-up drills.