Use these two exercises to develop and progress your players' handling skills when they are facing a drift defence. MORE
VIDEO: Win the duel in a 1+1 v 1
Use this simple 1+1 v 1 set up to develop the ball carrier’s desire to beat an opponent, and their teammate to support in the most effective way.
- The ball carrier starts in the middle of the end of the box, with a support player right behind them.
- A defender starts on a corner.
- The ball carrier attacks the defender, aiming to beat them first.
- If they can’t beat them, they offload out of the tackle.
- Don’t allow passes before contact, otherwise, it’s likely the ball carrier will slow down
- Move to full tackling.
- Start the support player on a corner, or even from the middle of one side (like a flanker running from a breakdown or scrum).
- Attack the defender, then step into space.
- Keep going forward.
- Support player, look at the shoulders of the ball carrier to tell which way they are moving.
You can run several boxes at the same time. You can stand in the middle of the boxes, releasing an attacker in each box alternatively.