Getting ready for training needs players to get their bodies and minds in tune. Play lots of games to motivate and engage the players. Then break out into skills zones where your players can start to concentrate on the details. Here are four warm-up skills activities which can be mixed into your training routines, all from our growing video archive. MORE
VIDEO: Evasion with good grip
Use this activity to warm-up players’ footwork and handling the ball skills. In particular, it develops avoiding obstacles without losing speed.
- Put two tubes about 3m apart.
- Have a player race through the tubes going to the left of one, and the right of the other.
- The players carry the ball in two hands.
- The player aims to maintain their pace, so not sidestep.
- Develop by having the player carry the ball in one hand, swapping hands so the ball stays away from the tube.
- Develop by taking away the tube and putting a static player in their place. The player aims to reach out to knock away the ball.