All defensive patterns require strong communication and an ability to work together as a line. Use this folding defence activity to get groups of players filling in and coming forward to tackle side-on. MORE
VIDEO: Evasion with good grip
Use this activity to warm-up players’ footwork and handling the ball skills. In particular, it develops avoiding obstacles without losing speed.
- Put two tubes about 3m apart.
- Have a player race through the tubes going to the left of one, and the right of the other.
- The players carry the ball in two hands.
- The player aims to maintain their pace, so not sidestep.
- Develop by having the player carry the ball in one hand, swapping hands so the ball stays away from the tube.
- Develop by taking away the tube and putting a static player in their place. The player aims to reach out to knock away the ball.