The best lineouts work on tempo, where the jumper arrives and explodes into action before the opposition can react. Practise throw and jump timings to build a rhythm to your sideline set piece. MORE
VIDEO: Evasion with good grip
Use this activity to warm-up players’ footwork and handling the ball skills. In particular, it develops avoiding obstacles without losing speed.
- Put two tubes about 3m apart.
- Have a player race through the tubes going to the left of one, and the right of the other.
- The players carry the ball in two hands.
- The player aims to maintain their pace, so not sidestep.
- Develop by having the player carry the ball in one hand, swapping hands so the ball stays away from the tube.
- Develop by taking away the tube and putting a static player in their place. The player aims to reach out to knock away the ball.