Randomise your 1 v 1, 1 v 2 and 2 v 2 tackle training with this exercise. Its quick-fire nature gives players little chance to think and makes for an active session. MORE
VIDEO: Evasion with good grip
Use this activity to warm-up players’ footwork and handling the ball skills. In particular, it develops avoiding obstacles without losing speed.
- Put two tubes about 3m apart.
- Have a player race through the tubes going to the left of one, and the right of the other.
- The players carry the ball in two hands.
- The player aims to maintain their pace, so not sidestep.
- Develop by having the player carry the ball in one hand, swapping hands so the ball stays away from the tube.
- Develop by taking away the tube and putting a static player in their place. The player aims to reach out to knock away the ball.