The best lineouts work on tempo, where the jumper arrives and explodes into action before the opposition can react. Practise throw and jump timings to build a rhythm to your sideline set piece. MORE
VIDEO: Tackle, recover
Use this tackle tube activity to focus on good technique under pressure, with lots of strong repetitions and enough distractions to keep the players fully aware of their team mates in the defensive line. This is low-impact exercise is ideal to develop the technical aspects of the skill.
- Two players hold tackle tubes.
- Stand a pair of players opposite each tube, about 3m away.
- The pairs come forward, with one of the pairs tackling the tube.
- The other of the pair runs through for 3m, before turning to come back to make a tackle on their return.
- The original tube holder returns to the start. The tackler takes the tube tackler’s place, holding the tube for the next tackle.
- The exercise cycles through until the players have all made 10 tackles each.
- Head up, hands in front to make the tackle.
- Keep the feet on the ground through the tackle. No diving into the tubes.