Encourage all the best attributes in a good defensive line with this game of slide and hammer. It will improve your teams’ line speed and cohesiveness. MORE
VIDEO: 1 v 1 tackling challenges
Use this low-impact, tackle reaction exercise to work on footwork and completing a tackle.
HOW TO DO IT
- Put a ball carrier and tackler back-to-back, sitting on the ground in a 5m box.
- The ball carrier gets up and turns to score over the line which was behind them.
- The tackler aims to tackle the ball carrier out of the box or before the end of the box.
Note how the ball carrier manipulates the ball carrier before the exercise even starts – this adds to the competitive nature of this exercise.
It’s worth working in groups of four, with a steady rotation of players.
- The tackler has to finish the tackle by competing for the ball.
- Add in another attacker and defender who cannot take a pass, but can support the contact area.