Being accurate with your ball receipt at kick-offs and drop-outs will consolidate your game. So help your players develop their catching, realignment and passing skills with this simple activity. MORE
Throw and react
The thrower needs to be both accurate and time their throw correctly. The ball needs to meet the jumper at the top of their jump. This activity will get them into good habits.
- Put a hooker on the touchline
- Spread out three ruck pad holders between the 5m and 15m line. Their spacing should be appropriate to your team’s age and ability
- Depending on the call, the thrower aims for raised ruck pad in the lineout
- The ruck pad holder raises their pad as the ball is being thrown in (not before)
- The hooker aims to hit between the top and middle of the pad
- Develop by putting in players to compete against the ruck pads
- If you have lifting, then have a couple of lifting pods against an opposition player holding a ruck pad
- The thrower aims to hit anywhere between the middle and the top of the pad.
- It tests the thrower’s ability to vary their throw to the front, middle, tail or even possibly a lob throw.
- Each thrower will have their own technique so it is better to make slight adjustment to this rather than get the player to start all over again unless you are working in pre-season.