Quick hands competition
Pit forwards against the backs in this exercise to develop straight running and quick handling. It puts your players’ skills under pressure and the session can be adapted to suit groups of any size.
It’s a simple yet effective activity in which the set-ups can be changed to work on different lengths of pass.
- Split into forwards and backs.
- Put three of each type in each channel as above.
- The first groups of three start at opposite ends of the first box.
- They run forward, passing once they’ve gone 2m.
- The last player takes the ball forward and passes to the player in the next channel over the cone at the side.
- That group runs back towards the end of the box, passing to their end player.
- He passes to the player in the last group.
- This last group runs forward and passes.
- The end player must put the ball down over the middle line before the rival group does.
- Repeat working in the other direction, so the players work off a different hand.
- You can add players to channels to suit larger groups, or just use two channels, with the players starting in the middle.
- Run straight.
- Reach for the pass.
- Pass for the player to run onto.