Set your players up for the session with this competitive warm-up game which helps them use footwork, communication and in the development, passing skills. MORE
Playing the stuntman
Young players are often wary when it comes to taking contact, either with the ground or when on their feet. Use these exercises to boost their contact confidence and ability to manoeuvre their body.
It’s a fun way to warm youngsters up for more intense contact.
- Put a line of ruck pads on the ground, with plenty of space between them.
- Place a player next to each pad. As you walk past each player, he has to land on the ruck pad, performing the stunt you suggest.
- Develop by having the player get to his feet as fast as possible, or placing the ball in a desired direction.
- Next, create a corridor of ruck pads, with two ruck-pad holders ready to come forward either from the side or in front to challenge a ball carrier as he moves down the corridor.
- Include a tackle tube to jump over. The carrier aims to get through the course without being knocked through one of the sides.
- Keep control once landed – can the player recover quickly?
- In the corridor, lean forward into contact
- Short steps through contact