In Hard and Fast with the Miss Pass, we set up a “miss pass” training session. The miss pass is a long pass which skips one player, with the missed player drawing a defender in the process. MORE
Pin down the cheating flanker
No team worth its salt can play with a continual stream of slow ball. So use these activities to speed up your team’s attacking play by detaining their “cheating” back-row players.
Pin the opposition’s key ball poacher to the ruck so that he cannot “cheat” at the next ruck.
- Use a 5m square, with the ball placed on the attackers’ side.
- Two attackers and one defender go for the ball on your command.
- If the defender arrives first, he puts his hands on the ball.
- If he arrives late, he still illegally goes for the ball.
- The attackers aim to clear him and pin him to the ruck pad.
- Shout when a ruck has formed, and then “ruck over” if and when the ball is won.
- The attackers should keep the defender in place.
- Attackers must work as a pair to target the defender.
- They should knock him to the side of the ruck and try to pin him there.