Don’t teach falling over. Teach the players to bounce themselves and therefore the ball off the ground and back into the game. It reduces the fear of falling by making the players embrace the ground as part of a skill for continuity. MORE
Run to a ball and pick it up
U7 MINI-TAG | HANDLING 5
ACTIVITY: Capture the ball
- Put teams of four players behind each of the 2m corner boxes and place at least 12 balls in the middle.
- When you say “go”, one player from each team runs into the middle to grab a ball. He returns to his corner and scores a try by placing the ball down in his box (see below). He then touches the next player in his team to go.
- If there are no balls left in the middle, the players can steal them from another team’s box (unopposed).
- The first team to get four balls inside their box wins the game.
- Develop by making the players perform a skill before scoring a try, such as passing to a team mate inside the box.
What you say
“Put your foot by the ball”
“Put one hand in front and one hand behind the ball”
“Bend before you get to the ball”
How many players do I need
Ideally you need 16 players – four teams of four, but you can play with teams of three if you need to.
You will need
- 12+ balls
- 16 cones