Your team needs to be able to score in a variety of ways using different methods, as sometimes phase play and handling will only take you so far against a quality defence, especially those that blitz. The chip and chase can be a very useful option. MORE
Pre-season handling booster
A session ideal for pre-season or in-season if you need to reconnect your players with their handling and pace onto the ball. Accurate passing is essential to maintain a flowing attacking move capable of exploiting mismatches and space. Look at the detail as well as the outcomes.
- The receiver only puts their hands out when the ball is passed
- The passer aims in front of the runner to draw them onto the pass
- The first player in the line jogs onto a pass then releases the ball after the cones
- A feeder pops the ball to the first player
- The receiver sprints off, timing their run based on the first players
- A ball carrier sprints through the box and passes once outside
- The defender decides whether to for the passer or the receiver, but only once they have left their box
- The next receiver aims to beat the defender should they cover across
- Put two columns of players about 5m apart (adjust this according to the skill level). One column will the catch-and-pass group and they will start about 2m ahead of catch column.
- Have the first catch-and-pass jog forward. Once they reach level with a feeder, they receive a ball and then pass it for the next player.
- The catch column’s first player has to sprint forward, so holds their run before setting off.
- The feeder joins the first column, the passer the next and the catcher becomes a feeder. You should have a couple of feeders ready.
- Have the ball carrier race forward and pass only when they are out of the box in front of them.
- Have a defender race forward also, aiming to touch the ball carrier or slide off and touch the receiver.
- The receiver should sprint onto the pass, so the defender has no chance of catching them.
- The original ball carrier can dummy if they think the defender is moving over too quickly.
- Pass in front of the receiver.
- The receiver should reach for the ball only when it’s passed.