Randomise your 1 v 1, 1 v 2 and 2 v 2 tackle training with this exercise. Its quick-fire nature gives players little chance to think and makes for an active session. MORE
Catch, evade and offload
Develop your players’ ability to take the ball on the run, change direction immediately and then pass the ball either left or right quickly. This activity is all about carrying the ball in two hands.
A good catch not only allows the player to take the ball at pace but also to be balanced, to step left or right and to pass when he wants. Use this activity to encourage players to catch and run with two hands.
- Set up the cones and four players as in the picture above, with the end cones about 12m apart.
- Have a player run into the first box at pace.
- He takes a pass from one of the players, runs through the box and then steps left.
- As he enters the final box, a coach indicates which way to pass the ball and he makes a short pass to that player.
- He then runs around and into the opposite box.
- The two receivers quickly transfer the ball so that the runner takes a pass as he enters this box.
- The runner goes through the box, steps right, and returns through the first box again.
- As he enters it, a coach indicates which way to pass the ball and he makes a short pass to that player.
- Repeat twice and then rotate the players.
- Reach out for the passes.
- Keep the ball off the chest.
- Carry the ball in two hands.