Build up the best techniques for winning quick rucks with this warm-up ruck drill. The players develop the right footwork and body angles and body shapes to drive away threats from the ball. MORE
VIDEO: Quick ways to improve lineout jumping reactions
Use these trigger ideas to improve your lineout jumpers’ reactions. It’s also useful for lifters because it helps them work on their explosive reactions.
- Stand in front of line of jumpers.
- On your command, they jump. The jump has to be two footed, and their hands need to be above their head. Emphasise good technique.
- Then, repeat, but this time, use a ball as a trigger. See which player jumps first.
- Finally, have the jumpers walking forwards and backwards, as if they were mirroring an opposition jumper.
- Have two players working against each other.
- Have a lifter in front of each jumper. When the jumper jumps, they have to put their hands on the thighs of the jumper and give them a little boost.
- Then try Lineout 3 v 3.
- Bend a little at the knees and then drive up, with the hands in front of the body.
- Jump off two feet, and jump up, not forwards or backwards.