Develop your players passing on the run, changing angles and base passing (passing off the ground), while still maintain some social distancing. MORE
Help! A 40 minute session for L2 on 2 v 2 loops using whole-part-whole
Subscriber question: I have to produce a 40-minute session for a level 2 course – it concerns a 2 v 2 support loop using whole-part-whole. Can you give me some ideas on how to approach it?
Here’s a possible outline of a core skill 2v 2 support loop session that meets those requirements.
WARM UP – 5 MINS
Play even-side touch rugby. Players have 3 seconds to pass after being touched or they stop and flick the ball between the legs without looking otherwise it’s a turnover.
The passer must follow his pass otherwise it’s a turnover.The best players will start to loop naturally.
TECHNICAL – 10 MINS
Running lines for loops
- Pairs of players run through a loop-cone set-up in a 10m by 5m box.
- The ball carrier runs at the cone in front of him – to keep straight.
- As he reaches the cone, he passes to the receiver, who’s also running straight.
- After the pass, he runs behind the new ball carrier to take a pass on the carrier’s outside shoulder. The player must end up inside the last cone.
- To develop, put two defenders 5m in front of the two attackers. They walk towards the attackers to increase pressure on their ball handling.
- Engage the defenders by running straight before passing.
- Pass hard for the first pass, soft for the second.
GAME – 5 MINS
Return to the game. Now defenders can only touch the front of the defender – this encourages the ball carrierto step and pass.
TECHNICAL – 10 MINS
Blind and open loops
Create lines to run where the pass is. It can be inside or outside andthe passer runs the blocking line.
- The inside pass is where the passer turns towards the looping player and passes to him as he goes behind him.
- The outside pass is where the passer runs straight and passes outside to where he “hopes” the receiver will be (blind pass).
In both cases the passer should:
- Consider the dummy pass.
- After the pass, aim to block the defender he’s engaging.
Use the loop pass exercise again and then add defenders.The attackers should now be able to consider the types of loop they use.
GAME – 10 MINS
Return to the game for the rest of the session.