Encourage all the best attributes in a good defensive line with this game of slide and hammer. It will improve your teams’ line speed and cohesiveness. MORE
Find the line to realign
Unless it’s from set-piece possession, most of the ball passed out to the backs comes from a dynamic situation. So work on your players’ pace onto the ball from different positions.
This activity works on the vertical movement up and down the pitch, so players can reposition themselves to come onto the ball at pace.
- Three players and a feeder stand around the middle line of the box.
- Call a colour and the feeder moves to that coloured cone on the nearest sideline.
- The other players realign to take a pass.
- The feeder passes when the players are ready, and each player must take the ball going forward, with the last player sprinting before he takes the pass.
- He must take this pass before he crosses the line level with the feeder.
- Work from both sides of the box to practise passing off both hands.
- When players are confident, add two defenders.
- They stand on the line 5m back from where the feeder starts and initially only mark the first two players.
- Further develop by having the defenders drift out if they want.
- Use touch tackling.
- Time the run from the feeder’s pass.
- Pass for the receiver, not to the receiver.
- Run straight with hips up the pitch.