Use this activity to get your players organising themselves on the move and give the outside player room to run. It works on footwork, handling and communication. MORE
Fast pass pressure
A player who’s sprinting onto the pass will fix defenders effectively. If they can catch and pass at this pace, even better. Use this activity to develop this skill.
Running hard and straight with the ball forces a defender to remain in the attacker’s channel. If the defender should move out of that channel then the attacker should have more chance of going through the gap.
- Have an attacker sprint forward through the cones in front of them, which triggers the defender to sprint forward.
- A scrum half (9) delivers a pass to the first receiver who then passes onto the second receiver before the defender gets to them.
- Start with a short pass from 9, before lengthening the pass.
- Adjust the starting points to ensure a good contest.
- Swap sides.
- Add another attacker and defender.
- Repeat the exercise.
- Again adjust the starting points to encourage the right balance of success.
- Initially only allow the second defender to go for the second receiver.
- Then make the second defender go either in or out.
- Reach for the ball.
- Keeping the ball moving across the body on the same plane.
- Finish off the hands towards the target.