Use this activity to develop evasive movement before contact. The players start with a jump before accelerating, changing angles and then accelerating away again. Ideal as a warm up exercise. MORE
United we defend
Challenge your defenders to come up together as a line and then shift together as a unit depending on the alignment of attack.
The inside player leads up the defence and the other defenders move up and out when he does. The staggered line of “attackers” replicates the likely position of the tackle line in a match.
- The three ruck pads line up as with a defender opposite each one. Call forward an attack. Both groups advance.
- If you put your arm up, that ruck pad holder switches one lane. The end ruck pad holder can change to the far lane if he wants after this.
- Defenders make shoulder impact with the pad.
- Start the groups closer or further apart.
- Or start the defenders further to the side.
- Or, the middle man and end man can move out and in.
- Finally, start the attack with two players at the front and one behind. As they move forward, the back ruck pad holder can come into the line outside either player.
- Defenders advance fast for the first 2-3m then move out together if they need to.
- The inside man calls the others to move out.
- Ideally, defenders arrive just inside their ruck-pad holder.