The scrum-half usually plays a sweeper role. But if your first line of defence is missing a player, he might have to step up to cover. Improve your 9’s defensive decision-making with this activity. MORE
U9 | DEFENCE 7
Get your players used to making low tackles and getting the ball carrier to ground quickly
- Put an attacker on the ground on his front with a tackler, also on the ground, 3m away, facing him. Put the ball in front of the attacker.
- The tackler calls the attacker which shoulder to run to. The attacker gets up, gathers the ball and takes one step to the side at half pace.
- The tackler gets to his feet and drives his shoulder into the thighs of the attacker just above the knee and grips tightly.
- The tackler must finish with a tight grip with his head in hard on the attacker’s legs (you, or another observer, check for this).
- Players then swap roles and repeat. You can develop the activity by increasing the pace of the ball carrier, but don’t let him step inside.
You will need
- A 10m x 5m area
- 1 ball
- Bibs (optional)
Got more players?
You can run this with as many pairs as you like but make sure they are at least 5m apart.
What to tell your players
“Stay low and focus on the hips”
“Drive the shoulder into the side of the thighs and grip hard”