Improve your players’ awareness of how to move together as a defensive line. A defensive line needs to know who’s covering who and then double up if they can to make a tackle. MORE
U13–U16 | DEFENCE 5
Get your players to double up when they make a tackle
- Place two tackle tubes, numbered 1 and 2, 5m apart on a line (such as the try line or touchline). Put a line of five players 5m behind each tube.
- When you call a number, the players at the front of each line run out and tackle that tube.
- Due to the distance between the tubes, one player will always arrive first. The first arriving tackler must decide whether he’s going to stop offloads (tackle high) or stop progress (chop the player down low). The next arriving tackler will adjust to what the first tackler does.
- Once everyone has had a turn, move the tubes closer together and insist on both players making the tackle at the same time.
- Once this has been mastered, two players stand behind the tubes passing a ball to each other. When you say “go” the player holding the ball stays still and the front player from each group comes forward to tackle that tube.
You will need
- 2 tackle tubes
- 2 cones
- 1 ball for the development activity
Got more players?
Set up more tackle tubes and get more players tackling.
What to tell your players
“Stay on your feet – don’t dive in”
“Second tackler, watch the first tackler and adjust to his actions”