Use this warm-up activity to improve awareness, catching, looking up and speed of thought. MORE
Help your players react in defence to cover the main threats, and use the best defence possible in the circumstances. Use this set up to develop into a bigger game scenario, depending on your numbers.
- Put five attackers, with two of them carrying a ball, in the middle between the two boxes, and an attacker on each of the corners of the same end.
- Put five defenders in the middle of the box.
- When you shout go, one ball carrier moves into each box to attack, with any number of the attackers moving with them.
- The defence split into each box, changing numbers according to what they see.
- Initially, use “grab” tackles, with the ball carrier allowed to offload the ball if they can within the three seconds.
- Reset and go again.
- Make the boxes different widths.
- Start a countdown from five. Each ball carrier walks forward three paces. The rest of the players, from both groups, align before you play.
- Play with more numbers with wider boxes. Allow one “breakdown”, so the first player “grabbed” in possession goes to ground, and one player from each team can compete for the ball.
- Allow kicking.
Attackers might send all forwards into one box and all backs into another.