Help your players understand when to go for the steal (snatch) and when to drive through (smash) the ball through the ruck if they can’t steal it. Keep it legal and slow down or win opposition ball. MORE
Support the maul
U11–U12 | CONTACT 7
Get players driving a maul from ball carrier to support players
- Mark out a 5m square area using different coloured cones on each corner. Put a ball carrier and defender back-to-back about 1m apart in the area. Another attacker faces the ball carrier outside the square.
- Shout which cone the ball carrier should attack, here “blue”. He turns and goes for that cone.
- The defender tries to stop him either by grabbing the ball or tackling. The support player joins the contact situation.
- The ball carrier cannot offload the ball but can have it ripped off him.
- Play until the ball is lost, a tackle is completed and the support player has protected the ball or the ball carrier goes over the cone.
- Develop by adding another defender. He and the support attacker run around the cones in front of them after you call a colour.
You will need
- A 5m square area
- 1 ball
- Coloured cones
Got more players?
With more players, set up more boxes
What to tell your players
“Roll the upper body to make yourself more difficult to hold onto”
“Support player, tell the ball carrier what to do – stay on your feet, drive, my ball, go to ground”