Use this activity to help players recover quickly from their tackle and then drive over the nearest threat to create a turnover opportunity. It is ideally used as a warm-up to more contact in and around the contact area. MORE
U11–U12 | CONTACT 1
- Get your players used to changing their body position so they can improve ball placement after being tackled
- Set up a 3m square area and number each side from 1 to 4. Put an attacker with a ball and a defender in the centre of the area.
- When you say “go”, the defender puts his hands on the shoulders of the attacker.
- You then call out one of the four sides of the square (in this case “2”) and the defender tries to wrestle the attacker to the ground.
- The attacker fights to stay on his feet but when grounded, he must push the ball back towards the side called out.
You will need
A 3m square area
1 ball per pair
Got more players?
Add more squares and get as many pairs working as possible.
What to tell your players
“Stretch to get the ball back”
“Roll the shoulders to help to get more control of the contact contest”