Use this activity to help players recover quickly from their tackle and then drive over the nearest threat to create a turnover opportunity. It is ideally used as a warm-up to more contact in and around the contact area. MORE
Keep the ball alive in contact
U11–U12 | CONTACT 6
Get players managing the ball so it’s available to be ripped away by a team mate or passed
- Set up a 5m square area. Put two attackers, one with a ball, on one side of the area (one on each corner) and two ruck pad holders together in the centre on the other side.
- When you say “go”, the ball carrier runs at one of the ruck pad holders and, in the last 2m, passes to the other attacker who runs on to the ball at pace and tries to smash between the two ruck pad holders.
- Players attack and defend in different partnerships, in 30-second sets.
- Develop with the initial ball carrier following the supporter into contact and driving him from behind to add extra power.
- Or develop with the initial ball carrier going round the pad holders to take a return pass from the support player once he has broken through the pads.
You will need
- A 5m square area
- 1 ball
- Ruck pads
Got more players?
Line up attacking players on the two corners so they can run through the activity quickly (remember to change the pad holders, too).
What to tell your players
“Stay on your feet”
“Take small, fast steps through the contact area”