Don’t teach falling over. Teach the players to bounce themselves and therefore the ball off the ground and back into the game. It reduces the fear of falling by making the players embrace the ground as part of a skill for continuity. MORE
U10 | CONTACT 1
Help players learn about the battle over the ball when they are bound together in a ruck. Concentrates on the 1v1 ruck.
- Put two players, each on one knee, touching distance apart, with a ball in between them.
- When you say “go”, they each try to push the other player backwards, away from the ball.
- The winner is the one who pushes the other player back and is able to step over the ball.
- Keep swapping the players around so that they can test themselves against different people.
- Finally, put the two players, again each on one knee, at the side of a 1m square box.
- When you say “go”, they will again battle for the ball, but must first get to their feet and come through their own end of the box.
You will need
- A 1m square box
- 1 ball per pair
Got more players?
Set up lots of boxes.
What to tell your players
“Take short steps”
“The low man wins, so try to get under the other player”
“Keep driving forward”