The attacking player needs to beat the defender. If they can’t, they can pass the ball to their support player. This activity works on evasive skills, creating space, support and continuity. Maverick and the Goose start in the middle of first two boxes Each defender waits 2m inside their box Maverick (ball carrier) runs into... MORE
U11-U16 Attack what you see
Get your attackers making decisions about how many players are needed to exploit every attacking situation.
1. Mark out a 15m x 10m area and divide it into three 5m channels. Number the channels 1, 2 and 3.
2. Put five defenders on the line facing channel 2 and five attackers with a ball on the opposite line facing channel 1.
3. You call out how many defenders are needed, in this case “two”, and that number run into channel 1.
4. Attackers then need to communicate with each other and decide how many players they need to score a try at the far end of the channel. That many attackers then enter the channel and attempt to score. Defenders use full tackling to defend their line.
5. After five seconds, shout “change” and the attackers run to the start of channel 2 – you then shout a new number of defenders needed and they enter channel 2 and the drill repeats.
This activity is from EasiCoach Rugby Skills Activities U11-U12 & U13-U16. If you’re looking to train young players and improve basic skills, then I really recommend you check out EasiCoach Rugby Skills Activities