The 8-9-14 move from a right-hand scrum close to the line is excellent for scoring tries but needs variation depending on the strength of opposition defence. MORE
Use this quick attack-defence-evasion game to improve your players’ awareness and speed. It can easily be developed to include other elements like self-organisation and decision making.
- Put four attackers in the middle of the box and four defenders on each corner.
- Shout out a colour, and the attackers need to run to that line without being tagged.
- The defenders race off their cones to tag a player.
- Repeat three times before changing teams over.
- Don’t swap a player to a defender if they are tagged. Give them all the four chances. Also, note which way they are facing to give them more chance next time.
- Give every attacker a ball.
- If an attacker is tagged, they don’t carry a ball next time.
- Play with one ball. The ball can be passed in any direction. When you shout the colour, the ball must be passed by a static player.
- Change the square into a rectangle.
- Have one of the defenders call out the colour to attack.
- Have the attackers stand facing inwards.