“An attacker picks up a rolling ball under pressure and then decides whether to pass or run to keep the play going forward.” MORE
Quick Coach: Try scorers
- Try scoring
- Picking up
“There’s more than one way to score a try and more than one way to gather the ball to score a try. Let the players discover lots of options.”
A 10m box, with a try line at one end.
HOW TO PLAY
- Put a line of players with a ball at one end of the box.
- When you say go, they race to score a try at the far end.
- They can do this by either diving or putting the ball down, depending on the ground conditions.
- Identify winners. Also, try to put similarly skilled players close together so they can have a personal battle.
- Then, move onto the developments.
- Put the ball 5m in front of the player. They must pick up and score.
- As above, but the pick-up needs to be with just one hand. Challenge better players to do this with their weaker hand.
- As above, but the player needs to kick the ball forward over the try line before scoring.
- The player must chip and gather their kick. Challenge better players to do this with their weaker foot.