Dan chats to Kevin Mulcahey about his experiences coaching both novices and experts and how you need to change to meet their needs. MORE
My journey from Otago U10s to Melbourne Rebels attack coach
Dan Cottrell speaks to Ryan Martin about his journey to attack coach with Super Rugby team, the Melbourne Rebels.
Ryan started out with Otago U10s, working his way up through the pro-game, including coaching with the New England Freejacks in the US pro-league.
In the podcast, they discuss the following:
- Ryan’s journey, what’s changed and what’s stayed the same.
- The principles that work with U10s and pro-players.
- How does skill acquisition work for Ryan.
- How do you coach the drop punt.
- How to narrow the focus in each session and use feedback effectively.
- The balance between discovery and direct instruction.
- How coaches like Wayne Smith provide inspiration.
- The role of theming in coaching.
- The way that a weakness was identified in passing for one player, and then how that was improved over six weeks.
- The performance playground.
- The use of the S-line to improve passing, and some of the essentials around passing.
- What you should work on from the very start when you are coaching passing.
- Making training realistic and the use of perception-action coupling.
If you want to drop Ryan a line, his Twitter handle is @CoachRyanMartin where he also shares lots of great training footage.