Dan speaks to RFU national panel referee Adam Wookey about age grade tackle height changes, ball carrier height laws plus the new 50:22 and drop outs instead of 5m scrums being trialled at international rugby. MORE
Ecological approach to coaching at all levels
Dan Cottrell speaks to awarding winning coaches Dan Lycett and Ross Williams about their approach to coaching. Dan is head of PE and Sport and Ross is head of Athletic Development at St David’s College, in North Wales.
They’ve won the Independent Schools Association award for outstanding sport (small school) and been nominated for the Independent Schools Association award for innovation, recognising their provision during lockdown.
We chat about how they have introduced a more ecological approach to their coaching, allowing their players to find meaning and have a more self-determined approach.
In a wide-ranging discussion, here are some of the key topics we covered:
- How do you make fantastic athletes, even with a very diverse group of players
- What is meant by finding meaning and why it is so important
- How do you frontload training
- What is a rich environment and how does this lead to self-determination
- What are the challenges of setting up this type of curriculum
- How long does it take to develop this sort of approach
- Using “bingo” to challenge players helping players to reflect
- Fitting gamification and scaffolding into a session
- What does an ecological approach mean
https://www.stephenrollnick.com for more on Motivational Interviewing