Bird and LJ welcome Vicky Macqueen. Vicky, who received a British Empire Medal for services to sport, was an England international with 34 caps, plus also representing England at 7s. She has coach men's rugby with Hinkley, was director of women's rugby at Loughborough University, as well as coaching at Lichfield Women. In 2015 she founded didi Rugby UK and now has franchises across the UK, New Zealand, Australia and Italy. MORE
Coaching Laid Bare Episode Ten with Sophie Bennett
Liza “Bird” Burgess and LJ Lewis discuss a round of questions about the practicalities of the game. In this episode, they are with Sophie Bennett, the Bath team manager.
Sophie, having played and coached rugby herself, she was the WRU National Programme Co-ordinator. This role included team management of Wales U16s boys, Wales Women (XVs and 7s) and Cardiff Blues age groups. She was also team manager of Great Britain 7s.
Here are the questions posed to Sophie:
- Can you give us a little detail on how you moved from coaching into the WRU Women’s Manager role?
- What led to you getting the team manager role with Bath Rugby?
- What would you say is the most challenging part of your role as team manager?
- If you could go back in time, what advice would you give your younger self? (When you were coaching?)
- Did you think you would make a career in men’s professional rugby? Have you faced any obstacles?
- How do you manage family life with your full-time career as team manager for Bath Rugby?
- What advice would you give to young females wanting to pursue either a playing, coaching or managerial role in rugby?