Bird and LJ welcome Kate Burke, Lead Pathway Analyst with England Rugby. Kate has an MSc in Sports Analysis. After working in Wales with academy teams, she moved to the RFU in 2008, working with U18s and covering the men's teams. She then joined Bath for two years as head of analysis, before returning to the RFU to oversee analysis provision across the pathway, women's, 7's and referees' departments. MORE
Coaching Laid Bare Episode Nine with Jo Yapp and Sian Moore
Liza “Bird” Burgess and LJ Lewis discuss a round of questions about the practicalities of the game. In this episode, they are with Worcester Warrior coaches, Jo Yapp and Sian Moore.
LJ’s team Wasps had just beaten the Warriors, so there was a bit of fun to be had before they delved into these questions:
- How have you grown women’s rugby across all your roles?
- What are your thoughts on the player pathway?
- What are the key skills for young players, especially those aspiring to the pro-game?
- How do you transition from player to coach?
- What strengths do you feel you bring to your team?
- How do you refine and develop your coaching?
- What’s your best Covid-19 compliant activity?
- Who are your mentors?
- Are you a ruthless coach when it comes to selection?
- Tips for team talks.
- What are coaches getting better at these days?
Jo won 70 caps for England and was captain at the 2006 World Cup. She was head coach at Exeter University, England U20s and has been director of rugby at Worcester since 2019. She is also a level 4 coach.
Sian won 19 caps for Wales. She was an assistant coach at UWE mens before moving to the Warriors to be the lead coach. She is still playing.