Handling under pressure shows up whether the players have developed good passing habits. This fun game certainly motivates them to concentrate on the best skills to win the race. MORE
VIDEO: Long pull back passing drills in threes
Use this long passing drill to help player embed the technique of passing deep. That means, pulling the pass back and therefore away from the defence to a player who is deeper. The exercise challenges the players to work off both hands, so they are plenty of repetitions.
- Put three players in a diagonal line facing up the pitch. Adjust the distances apart according to the skills of the players (you might need to do this during the session.
- The first player turns passes to the middle player, who repeats the process. After each pass the middle player turns around.
- The player turns around and passes back.
- Once the players have passed five times from left to right, they turn to pass the other way.
Have the players run and pass, with an emphasis on the deep line.
- Follow through to the target with the hands.
- Reach for the ball, to take it as far away from the body as possible.
- Turn the body towards the target.
For more passing exercises try…