Improve your players’ footwork as they run forward, so they beat opposition players, or at least create a chance for a good offload in contact. This is a simple session to set up and can be adjusted easily to suit the stages of your players’ development. MORE
Return to play: Minis and juniors try chasers
Get your ball carriers used to running forward to score tries. This session can be run as a warm-up or as a proper tackling session as well.
Often players fail to run forwards even when they know the try line is that way. This session should encourage them to attack a space in front them and go for it.
- Split the players into pairs with a ball.
- Put the pairs 1m apart facing towards the touchline in the middle of a 10m long box.
- When you shout “pass”, the ball carrier passes to his partner.
- When you shout “turn”, the ball carrier races to the try line and his partner tries to catch him.
- Keep swapping pairs around.
- Use touch, tag, grab or full tackling.
- Spread out the pairs, so there is at least 3m between each.
- This time, instead of shouting “turn”, shout “attack”, the players with the ball aims to run past his partner.
- Attack the line.
- Carry the ball in two hands.
- Score the try properly.