Use this passing game to encourage accurate, fast passing developing into passing at pace, both by going forward and moving the ball laterally. Lots of passing practice doesn’t reward accurate passing. Unless the pass isn’t executed well, the passing group won’t beat the lone runner. MORE
VIDEO: Simple 3 v 2 with super skills pass!
Here’s a simple 3 v 2 exercise, where the attackers and defenders run to the corners of the box before turning to play. Got to love the invention of the first receiver!
- Put attackers and defenders at the edge and middle of a large box, say 15m square.
- Have three attackers with one ball run down one side to one corner and two defenders run down to another corner.
- Both turn and play.
- The attackers aim to score without being touched while in possession of the ball.
- There’s more than one way to solve this one.
- Run straight and hard. Pass firmly once the defender gets in line with the ball carrier.
- The first receiver attacks the space between the defenders, and the first passer runs behind that player.
- The first receiver changes their angle of run onto the pass at the last moment, to attack the gap.
- Add another defender behind the first line.
- Allow kicking.