Use this second box passing game to develop pass, catch and movement skills as well as defensive movement. The players can quickly develop their own adaptions. A great warm-up game for in-season training. MORE
VIDEO: Fending fast
Get your players to work on their fending skills to maintain ball security and still be able to manipulate the ball in contact. They will have to hand-off fast and offload the ball quickly in this activity.
- Put two ruck-pad holders in a line about 3m apart, offset.
- Have a ball carrier run at the first pad holder, fend off and then fend off the next pad with his other hand.
- He then one-hand offloads the ball to a waiting player or coach. The next player then goes.
- Each player has four goes before you put the pads closer together, so the second fend is almost immediate.
- Further develop by having a support player running with the ball carrier to take the second pass on the move. The ball carrier busts through and then offloads.
Fend with same hand, same foot.
- Bounce off and away with the fend.
- Four points of contact on the ball – hand, forearm, bicep and chest.
- Bent arm before contact and aim at the shoulder.
A SIMPLE GAME
Play a game of touch rugby. If a player is two-hand touched he has to pass with one hand. However if the ball carrier can fend off to the chest, he can continue to run with the ball.
Develop by playing grab-touch, where all tackles must be between the waist and the chest. If the ball carrier is held for more than two seconds, it’s a turnover.