Make sure your players enter the breakdown legally – by getting tough through the tackle gate. This will also mean they’ll arrive square and in a better position to drive over the ball and win it. MORE
VIDEO: Develop forwards’ attacking shape from rucks
Phil Davies explains how you can train forwards to set up from rucks to attack using a simple triangle shape. He outlines the key running lines from players “coming around the corner”, or coming back from the touchline.
- Attack in threes if possible, with a player inside and outside the ball carrier.
- Attacking open with a pass off the ground from the 9.
- Attacking back from the touchline with the 9 running before passing.
- Aim to get the hips up the pitch.
- Add in defenders as the players become more confident of their running lines and supporting roles.