Improve your players’ understanding of their roles to make sure you can retrieve kicks and attack space when in possession. Play with your Terms and Conditions, not the kicking teams’. When a team kicks into space, the defending team needs to communicate and fan out so it can run back at spaces. MORE
VIDEO: Support games – large numbers
Purpose of the session
- Develop the understanding around support lines and how they change depending on whether the attack is in a narrow channel or wider.
- Emphasis on later and deeper support.
- Up to 15 v 15 alternating between attack and defence.
- Rectangular shape pitch– perhaps 25m x 65m.
- Non-tackle – defenders only “block and hold” the attackers.
- Two potential try lines – one narrow and one wide. On coaches call the attack either attack the narrow or wide channel.
- The attack must endeavour to keep the ball off the ground.
- The ball carrier must have lateral support either side and deeper support behind.
- Ideally what shape should the support around the ball carrier adopt?
Now watch how the game changes after the intervention…