Use this box passing game to develop pass, catch and movement skills as well as defensive movement. The players can quickly develop their own adaptions. A great warm-up game for in-season training. MORE
VIDEO: Support games – large numbers
Purpose of the session
- Develop the understanding around support lines and how they change depending on whether the attack is in a narrow channel or wider.
- Emphasis on later and deeper support.
- Up to 15 v 15 alternating between attack and defence.
- Rectangular shape pitch– perhaps 25m x 65m.
- Non-tackle – defenders only “block and hold” the attackers.
- Two potential try lines – one narrow and one wide. On coaches call the attack either attack the narrow or wide channel.
- The attack must endeavour to keep the ball off the ground.
- The ball carrier must have lateral support either side and deeper support behind.
- Ideally what shape should the support around the ball carrier adopt?
Now watch how the game changes after the intervention…