Use a game of “Colours” to challenge the awareness and communication skills of your players. The game revolves around different coloured try lines (and eventually balls), either the players or coach can call the change of colour, which then changes the direction of the attack. The challenge: All the players must react to the change in direction of the pitch, being aware of which try line is where, where their players are aligned, which way they are now attacking and defending, and communicating to support a faster, more effective transition. MORE
VIDEO: Pre-season – The FLAP game
Purpose of session
Warm up whilst practising the skills we want to encourage the ball carrier to use.
F – footwork
L – leg drive
A – aggressive rip
P – long Place
- 8 v 8 touch rugby in half a field (say, a 40m by 30m box)
- You must utilise all four aspects of the skill
- Award a point each time for excellent execution
- Turnover if not sufficiently well executed
- Points allocated for correct technique as well as for scoring tries
- Therefore, the purpose of the game isn’t necessarily to score a try!
What tempo do you need to execute the skill at?