Pit forwards against the backs in this exercise to develop straight running and quick handling. It puts your players’ skills under pressure and the session can be adapted to suit groups of any size. MORE
VIDEO: Pre-season – The FLAP game
Purpose of session
Warm up whilst practising the skills we want to encourage the ball carrier to use.
F – footwork
L – leg drive
A – aggressive rip
P – long Place
- 8 v 8 touch rugby in half a field (say, a 40m by 30m box)
- You must utilise all four aspects of the skill
- Award a point each time for excellent execution
- Turnover if not sufficiently well executed
- Points allocated for correct technique as well as for scoring tries
- Therefore, the purpose of the game isn’t necessarily to score a try!
What tempo do you need to execute the skill at?