Need to inject some new ideas in training. Sometimes the old games have run their course. Well, for the time being anyway. Here are some fun games which are quick to set-up and, with few rules, give the players new challenges. Though they are primarily aimed at mini-tag, you can easily adapt them for older players. I think you find the energy generated quite uplifting. MORE
VIDEO: Pre-season – The FLAP game
Purpose of session
Warm up whilst practising the skills we want to encourage the ball carrier to use.
F – footwork
L – leg drive
A – aggressive rip
P – long Place
- 8 v 8 touch rugby in half a field (say, a 40m by 30m box)
- You must utilise all four aspects of the skill
- Award a point each time for excellent execution
- Turnover if not sufficiently well executed
- Points allocated for correct technique as well as for scoring tries
- Therefore, the purpose of the game isn’t necessarily to score a try!
What tempo do you need to execute the skill at?