Make this 90-minute session part of your pre-season preparations. It develops your players’ phase play in four clear and easy steps – warm-up, technical skills, unit skills and tactics. MORE
VIDEO: Going forward from every ruck
Use this simple game to build complex skills of realignment, changes of angle and pace onto the ball by letting the players discover the best solutions themselves.
Go forward through better realignment and pace onto the ball.
HOW TO DO IT
- Play a maximum of 6 v 6 on a small pitch, perhaps a 20m box.
- Start with these rules: Start with a pass from the centre of the pitch. A touch tackle with two hands, with the tackled player going to ground to present the ball. Turnovers for going into touch and dropped passes. No kicking.
- Play for a couple of minutes. Then add a new rule – any player receiving a pass must be moving forward. Be very strict on this and turnover the ball immediately if not adhered to.
- Play for another five minutes.
- Have some quick feedback and then play on. Aim to let the players work out what tactics work best.
“Be tough on the rules”
WHAT TO CALL OUT
Only praise good play. Don’t shout out any advice.
- Pace onto the ball.
- Changing angles.
- Running back to realign to go forward.
DEVELOP THE PRACTICE
- In the same box, allow the touched player to offload in two seconds or if he can’t, he can go to ground within three seconds.
- Have the tackled player pop the ball off the ground to a player moving forward or place the ball normally if not.
- Nominate a “9” who makes all the clearing passes.