Use this scenario to develop your players' ability to get back into the game quickly and make good decisions. They also have to scan as they recover. MORE
VIDEO: 4 v 2 chain
Use this decision-making exercise to create a different attacking picture for the players, especially for using long flat passes to beat the defence.
Set up a 10m long by 8m wide box (adjust to suit your players).
- Put two defenders in the middle, with one player holding the other’s wrist.
- Put four attackers at one end.
- When you say “go” the attackers have 30 seconds to score as many tries as possible.
- If an attacker is touched, or there’s an attacking infringement, then the attackers go back to the start line.
- If they score, they return to the start line also.
- The defenders always start from the middle of the box.
- Play in a larger box, but have two pairs as chains.
- Allow kicking.