Barcelona football team are fantastic to watch in the way they pass the ball quickly to players in space. This style of play does not happen by chance – replicate it in your rugby training. MORE
Tag ball tag for creative passing solutions
Improve the handling, catching, passing creativity and spatial awareness of your players with tag ball tag. One team aims to touch the ball of the other team. Use this game as a warm-up, in small or large groups. Ideal for all ages.
- One team (in blue here) try to make as many passes as possible without the ball carrier having their ball touched.
- The ball carrier cannot run with the ball but can twist and turn on the spot.
- The defenders can run with their ball.
- Defenders “win” by touching the attacker’s ball with their ball.
- The defender can knock down a pass with the ball as well.
- A dropped pass or ball going out of the area equals half-a-win for the defenders.
Keep possession by quick, accurate passing. Manipulate the ball when the defenders are close by.
HOW TO DO IT
- Split into attackers and defenders. It can be any number on either side, though it’s better if the defending team has at least two balls.
- The attackers aim to make as many passes as possible before the defenders win that round. Or, they can have a target, like 10 passes.
- The attackers can’t run with the ball but can twist and turn on the spot.
- If the defenders have a ball each, they run to intercept the ball with their own ball or touch the attacker’s ball when they are in possession.
- If the defenders have a ball between them, they can run and pass. They can’t intercept a ball unless they are in possession of the ball.
- Change the numbers.
- Allow attackers to run.
- Allow attackers to use kicks or roll the ball along the ground or fall to the ground before passing.
- Only allow certain types of passing.
- Defenders don’t have a ball but aim to touch the ball in possession of the attacker.
- Allow the players to come up with scoring systems.
- Fewer two-handed passes.
- More calling for the ball.
- Attackers trying to find space.