I was helping out a representative under 15s training session. I had been given two techniques to cover as part of a skill. One attacking technique and one defensive. MORE
Quick Coach: Footwork chase
“A ball carrier races into the channel and then turns to beat a chasing defender to the end of the channel.”
Five cones and a ball.
HOW TO PLAY
- Put a ball carrier on a cone and a defender about 5m away.
- When the ball carrier moves, the defender can move.
- The ball carrier runs to the another cones and then sprints up the pitch, while the defender aims to catch them before they reach the end.
- Adjust the starting points to suit your players.
- Either the ball carrier must carry the ball in two hands or just one. Say before each chase.
- Swap the side the ball carrier starts.
- Have the chaser standing with their back to the ball carrier, but looking over their shoulder.
- Have the chaser choose whether to start a little further back but they get extra kudos/points for chasing down the ball carrier.
This is a quick game, so keep rotating the pairs.