Use this continuous one minute game to put passing and decision-making under pressure. MORE
Play the turnover game
Turning defence into attack effectively needs quick thinking – not only to pass to space but to realign to ensure that space can be exploited. Use this game to recreate the chaos of a turnover.
It improves a team’s reaction to turnover ball in defensive and attacking situations.
- Play 8 v 8 touch rugby where a touched player can offload within 1 second or play the ball between his legs.
- There are limitless touches.
- Always start the game within one of the end zones.
- Kicking is allowed. You hold a ball.
- At any point, call a number like “plus one” or “plus two”.
- The carrier and nearest one or two attackers go onto one knee for 3 seconds (the ball is left on the ground).
- At the same time, throw your ball to a defender, who instantly presents the ball on the floor as if he has been tackled.
- The game continues for two phases – a phase is where a touched player can’t offload within 1 second so must put the ball through his legs.
- If the ball is turned over in the opposition third, the attack aims to score.
- If in their own third, they can try to score through running or a kick and chase, or kick into touch in the opposition third.
- Score a point for a try or successful clearance.
- Restart after each counter attempt.
- Players at the back call for where to play the ball.
- Realign quickly.
- Two passes away from the turnover help create space.